Vegetable and Beef Stew

I used to think that there was nothing better for you when you were sick than soup. After my boyfriend and I found this little beauty (and altered it quite a bit), I found out I was so wrong. Stew! Stew is where it's at. It's like a soup on steroids! Served with a side spinach salad and some freshly baked corn bread (Jiffy mix, all the way), it's a delicious, cheap meal.





Hello there canned corn!

Looking in my sad excuse for a pantry, I realized I wanted to start to utilize some of my canned goods. For some strange reason, I have 5 cans of corn. Well, I better start getting rid of them!





When I was chopping up my garlic, I went a little knife happy and sliced my finger. Even though it's about the size and deepness of a paper cut, I still cried like a baby for over 10 minutes. No shame.





I have a confession to make. I love cornbread. My obsession started back in the day when my parents bought Boston Market on Sundays. We would always get extra corn bread, two pieces a person. It was moist and absolutely delicious. Though I want to make cornbread from scratch eventually, Jiffy mix will work just fine as a substitute.




My mouth is watering as I look at this picture. YUM! And if you make the mix (takes a whole 3 minutes, tops) and put them in the oven when you add in your corn, when the corn bread is done, your meal is done! Convenient, eh? My cornbread took about 20 minutes to bake, so it lined up quite nicely.




A simple salad is nice, if you're feeling particularly rambunctious. We had an abundance of spinach in the fridge, so we used that up, but any leafy green would be just as yummy.



Ignore the green bean sticking out. We tried to add some green beans, but they were gross. But anyways, here is the finished dish! The meat is juicy, the vegetables infused with chili powder, and the broth is slightly thick and delicious. I am really proud of this baby, and hopefully you try it out sometime when the fam is sick, but would be repulsed if you served them one more bowl of chicken noodle soup.



Vegetable and Beef Stew

ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 pound beef stewing meat (cubed)
  • 1 tablespoon (or more to taste) chili powder
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (with juice)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups corn kernels (or 2 cans)
In a large pot, heat up your olive oil (medium-high heat). Add your meat and brown on all sides,stirring often, making sure it is thoroughly cooked.

Reduce your heat to medium and add your chili powder, garlic, and your chopped onion. Cook until the onion softens (about 8-10 minutes).

Add your tomatoes, salt, and pepper (if you wish), and cook on low for about 30 minutes. Add your corn and cook for about 20 minutes more.

ENJOY.

And as a little something extra, here is my handsome boyfriend. Go ahead and judge.




Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP